Thursday, April 13, 2006

Hardcore Fans Cheer

Mere Hardcore Gamblers Might Not

A recent exchange with Dan Illman on the DRF's new blog revealed some important misconceptions about who the real fans of our sport are. Mr. Illman posted a Handicapping Code of Ethics, which included this commandment: "Thou shalt not snap, clap, scream, jump, yell, or make any other offending noise unless thou hast a MAJOR wager on the race. This means more than a two dollar show bet." I responded by essentially saying cheering is good.

It's a good thing to yell, holler and root home your horse.

Many of us aren't just handicappers and gamblers. We're also fans of the game. Cheering loudly and passionately for a horse you have $2 on, or just a horse you're a fan of is not only acceptable, it's a great part of the game. No one seems to be bothered if fans yell at a football game when a play is in motion, even if they don't have money on it.

Some of us love this game. Some of us cheer for it's stars. Some of us also applaud a great effort from a $4000 claimer. We are fans. The game needs more of us.

Mr. Illman gives a little ground [sorry, subscription only--DRF doesn't appear to understand what a permalink is] writing:

Brad has a point. Horse racing needs new fans. It's nice to see newcomers cheer excitedly for one of their faves (Funny Cide comes to mind) in one of the big races, and at tracks like Saratoga and Del Mar, hardcore fans have to give them a free daily pass. I think it's when we get to the fifth race at Aqueduct on a Wednesday card when the extreme rooting and hollering (Draw Play fan club, anyone?) becomes hard to bear. There's a difference between rooting passionately for a superstar, and screaming "Gimme that 4"
in a $7,500 claiming race.

I appreciate his open mind, but it seems he's still operating in a somewhat restrictive paradigm. Not only do "newcommers cheer excitedly for one of their faves" but hardcore fans do, too. Saying "hardcore fans have to give them a free daily pass" is condescending. It reminds me of misguided ideas such as Dick Jerardi's position that "They should search everybody who comes into the track. If you have less than $100, you should be sent home. Really, what purpose do you serve? Get out." I am one of the people that would be sent packing by Mr. Jerardi or need Mr. Illmans pass because I will certainly yell at the monitor or on the apron on a Wednesday at Golden Gate Fields and I am a two dollar bettor.

My parents didn't miss a Derby when they lived in Louisville in the '60s, and I was hot-footing it over to Fairmount Park regularly as soon as I was old enough to drive. I've been to over 25 tracks in North America, a half dozen outside of our hemisphere, nearly all of the American tracks that have a grade 1 race, all the Triple Crown races, and a Breeder's Cup. I never miss an edition of "Blinkers Off" and even think that Illman & Greg Wolf do a better job than Watchmaker and Caruthers. I'm a horse owner and have even bought a yearling at the Keeneland September sale. I'm a member of the Thoroughbred Bloggers Alliance and write my own blog about small time horse ownership. Given these credentials, do I still not qualify as a hardcore fan?

To Mr. Illman's credit, it only took him to his second blog post to piss off another blogger. I think maybe he's got the hang of this blogging thing.

5 comments:

suebroux said...

Great comment you posted on Dan Illman's blog - and definitely right on the money. And to think I once referred to Dan Illman as a genius!

He freely admits that "horse racing needs new fans" yet maintains the elitist attitude that the casual fan who may wander over to Sam Houston a couple times a year and plunk down a couple of bucks for a show wager on P F Tis a Hoot is unworthy to cheer or be an actual participant of the sport.

Pari-mutuel wagering is basically "losers pay winners", and my paltry $2 is in the same mutuel pool as Mr. Illman's millions thus I should be able to yell "Gimme that 4" at every opportunity.

t said...

Thanks for the kind words, Sue, and great to have a fellow hooter cheering with me. I guess that would make you a hooter girl, and me a hooter boy. Poor choice of words.

Anyhoot, we changed his mind! Illman has seen the light:

After a night of tossing, turning, and contemplation, I think you and the "rooting section" of this debate may be correct.

Thanks, Brad. I'm going to try and view this sport a bit differently from now on. I'm not only going to concentrate on the dollars and cents. I'm going to try and remember all the wonderful qualities that make this game great (competition, pageantry, the celebration of the beauty of the thoroughbred, and the athleticism of the jockey).


Check out the FormBlog for his full comments.

suebroux said...

Your comment sure did the trick - using such phrases as restrictive paradigm probably made him nervous, and then he had to locate a dictionary.

I'm glad that he regained his senses and I was happy to contribute in some small way - kind of like a jalapeno on loaded fajita nachos.

And I should note, it took some chutzpah to tell Dan Illman that he's pissed off horseplayers, fans, and bloggers.

Michael said...

There is something I really like about hearing some woman, who never bets, scream to watch her longshot horse come home and then shout: "OH MY GAWDDDD!" at the top of her lungs when she sees that the $2 exacta she made is going to pay out $300+.

I bet if Illman went and surveyed the folks who bother him, he'd find out that they aren't the casual bettors, but are the guys who are regulars on a Thursday. The guys who curse at the top of their lungs to "come on with that two Robbie, come on with that two Robbie," usually appear to be old timers.

Anonymous said...

I think that's an excellent point. As I stated on FormBlog, I was wrong. Casual fans SHOULD root and cheer for their favorites. It adds to the ambiance of the racetrack. The crass cursing I could do without, however.
Still looking up "restrictive paradigm." :)
All the best, and if you ever have any questions or comments, or just want to talk racing, feel free to e-mail me at dillman@drf.com.

Dan Illman