Monday, October 10, 2005

Naming Conventions

In the world at large horse names are of far more interest than horse races. Neophytes at the track are more apt to discuss how cute or funny the names "Susie's Indiscretion" and "Rent Check" in the fourth race are, than they are to delight in the way the third race ended in a thrilling photo.

Horseplayers forget this. Just the opposite, we will relish the memory of the 7 horse in an open claimer that we cashed on at 30-1, or that chestnut shipper that closed at astronomical odds to complete our trifecta. Particularly, when it comes to the bread and butter of most tracks' weekday cards consisting of maiden and claiming races, we may forget the horses even have names as we make our running notes in the form and place our bets by number.

Now it's different, though, because I'm the one that will register this filly's name. I nearly forgot about this aspect, as horseplayers are want to do, but luckily my new partners reminded me before the checks were written and feelings were hurt. I've been in a lot of partnerships initiated by others where I didn't get to register a horse. I took time off work, flew to Kentucky, and sucked up to Frank Taylor from Taylor Made farms so that I could get a quality pony I could afford. He doesn't make a habit of selling fillies below market, but he threw this first timer a bone. I'll be damned if I don't name her.

A common convention is to name horses after their sires, dams, or both. Storm Bird begat Storm Cat. Better yet, Colonial Affair begat Jefferson's Secret. Now the Jockey Club and a rather inventive owner are in court battling over his request to give a daughter of Jefferson's Secret the name Sally Hemmings.

Many owners name their horses consistent with a theme. Harry Aleo, owner of Lost in the Fog, names most of his horses with his hometown in mind and has campaigned the likes of Sutro and Frisco Star. Eugene Melnyk chooses names of places near his home in Barbados such as Graeme Hall and Flower Alley. I'm leaning toward a mechanical watch theme, but remain undecided on a name. Merely knowing that I have a horse I haven't named yet seems to compel folks to assemble and declare the best name for my horse. I've received no small number of suggestions about what to name her, but I see no need to either follow or host a naming convention.

No comments: