Tuesday, January 17, 2006

News & Notes

I celebrated MLK Day with a special Monday card at Bay Meadows, where I had the chance to chat with Armando Lage, trainer of Leave To Appeal, about the aforementioned mugging she experienced at the hands of one Mr. Baze. Armando was, as always, unflappable and cool as a cucumber. In his-I've seen it all and I'm not shocked by any of it any more-delivery he said, with a very calming smile "That was the day Russle decided to have a bad ride, and he happened to have that awful ride on our horse. He has bad rides, too."

In the Look on the Bright Side Department, Armando said she came out of the race great and she'll be ready to go early in the Golden Gate meet which opens February 8th and offers a surface of which she's displayed a fondness.

Ruby Thomas, trainer of Idaho Gem, the Taz clone, was shuttling between the clubhouse and paddock as her husband Ray had two entries on the card. We did have time to chat about our two year old filly out of an In Excess mare, by a no name sire. We are renaming her by each submitting a name and drawing the winner from a hat. I submitted "Grand Complication" as my choice, and I've got a one in ten shot. We could see this filly and Movement compete at the fairs over the summer. The cheapest 2yo maiden claiming races they card are for $12,500, and I'd guess that's where they'll both be.

Lastly, I'm solidifying my travel plans for my two bush flavor events, both with a modicum of racing, the Red Bluff Round-Up and the Winnemucca Mule Races, Show and Draft Horse Challenge.

1 comment:

Alan Mann said...

Yeah, well we've all bet on some mules in our lives.