Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Payday!

The check for Movement's 2nd place finish has arrived, and is more than I had expected. [click on itemized receipt detail at left to view the breakdown] This is a new experience for me in horse ownership. I've become accustom to bills being higher than anticipated, but this is delightful. In addition to the purse money, there was a jockey insurance supplement and a starter purse supplement. Of course, they don't give supplements for no reason. You have to pay for the jockeys insurance and other raceday expenses. Still, it will cover almost a of month of expenses, and hopefully she can have another start in that time.

I haven't written much about how hard it is to make money, or break even in this game since we bought this filly. The cost estimates I made at that time were incredibly rosy. Even so, you can see that we have been lucky. There were 7 others that finished behind us in that race. The third place horse probably earned about a week & a half of her feed bill and 6th thru 9th scored bubkiss. We could have just as easily bought one of those horses last year.

No comments: